Saturday, April 4, 2009

Draft night

First, I want to apologize if I didn't offend anyone. I doubt I insulted JP during the whole draft, but he was close enough to me that he probably was irritated just because he was sitting so close.

Always cracks me up that we critique who has the best team from the draft, when I like to focus on who really needs a clue -- I mean, besides Andy.

As the guy who drafted the worst team in ball last year, I feel like I'm pretty much an authority on making crappy picks. Of course, the beautiful thing about the SBL Draft is you always think you drafted a decent team, unless of course, you're the Moaners.

What makes this year a little trickier than most is the new OBP category. Most guys that hit for a good average have a good on-base percentage, but the Adam Dunns and Jack Custs, who suck in BA, actually are studs in OBP. But I'm sure everyone studied that.

So whose team didn't I like, besides Andy? I think Gregg's team is definitely the team to beat. While he draft some good names -- Hamilton, Uggla, Sizemore, as well as a stacked bullpen -- he's got a lot of holes in his lineup. Upton is supposed to miss the first month of the season. Two of his pitchers start in the minors or on the DL. He has lots of bats in the bottoms of orders -- Ramirez, Ellis, Betancourt, Hermida and Fukudome. Some of that can be offset with them being backups.

But what's hard about our league is playing catchup. When you have multiple holes to fill and supplemental drafts coming so spread out, it takes forever to restore what's already damaged. And that's if you make the right choices in the supplemental draft. I will give Gregg this - he didn't draft anyone with glaucoma who had to retire.

Of course, now that he has the kiss-of-death seal of approval, I'm sure he'll run away with the title. That's the beauty of the SBL.

1 comment:

  1. Since you didn't insult J.P., I will. Pizzle (as he's known in certain circles), your team blows.

    ReplyDelete